David A. Berstein
David A. Berstein is a founding partner of Myers Berstein where he concentrates his law practice on intellectual property-related litigation and business disputes. Over the past 15 years, Mr. Berstein has handled numerous cases before the Superior and Federal District Courts in California as well as proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
In 1996, Mr. Berstein's legal background began at the law firm of Horton Barbaro & Reilly in Santa Ana where he initially clerked for Managing Partner Jay Cordell Horton. Mr. Berstein worked as an associate attorney at Horton Barbaro & Reilly where he was responsible for conducting trials and depositions in medical negligence and personal injury disputes. Mr. Berstein is experienced in mediation, law and motion briefing including appellate briefing, case selection and review, client relations, and, essentially, participation in every aspect of a lawsuit from initial contact with a prospective client to collection on a judgment following trial.
Beginning in May 2005, Mr. Berstein, as a senior associate, began working with the Goodman Law Group which eventually merged with another law firm to become Burkhalter Kessler Goodman & George. In July 2011, Mr. Berstein became a founding member of Goodman Mooney & Berstein in Irvine.
Born and raised in the San Fernando Valley, Mr. Berstein graduated from California State University, Northridge, with a B.A. in psychology with a minor in behavioral neuroscience. He earned his J.D. from Whittier School of Law in June 1999 and was admitted to the State Bar of California in December of that year. While in law school, Mr. Berstein was a competing member of the Trial Advocacy Honors Board and was privileged with the Whittier Law Review's publication of his article, "The Medical Injury Compensation Reform Act (MICRA), Pharmaceutical Malpractice, and Their Detrimental Effects on a Little Girl," Whittier Law Review, Volume 21, No. 1, Page 259.
Mr. Berstein is admitted to practice in all courts of the State of California and all United States District Courts in California. He is a member of the Orange County Bar Association, the Orange County Jewish Bar Association and the Orange County Trial Lawyers Association.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Trade Secrets
- Business and Contractual Disputes
- California, 1999
- Supreme Court of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- Whittier Law School, Costa Mesa, California
- J.D. - 1999
- Honors: Competing Member, the Trial Advocacy Honors Board
- California State University, Northridge
- Bachelor Of Arts - 1994
- Major: Psychology
- Minor: Behavioral Neuroscience
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Jewish Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- International Trademark Association, Member
Previous Professional Experience
- Myers Berstein, Founding Partner (June 2014 – present)
- Myers Lin, Partner (December 2012 – May 2014)
- Goodman Mooney & Berstein, Senior Litigation Partner (August 2011 – September 2012)
- Burkhalter Kessler Goodman & George, Senior Intellectual Property Litigation Associate (April 2007 – August 2011)
- Goodman Law Group, Senior Intellectual Property Litigation Associate (June 2005 – March 2007)
- Horton Barbaro & Reilly, Litigation Associate (December 1999 – May 2005)